This job is
responsible for maintaining safety in the MRI environment while
assessing patients and safely performing routine MRI procedures in
accordance with prescribed safety procedures and protocols. The
Registered MRI Technologist is a clinical mentor for junior staff
Required - High School diploma or equivalent
Required – Refer to Certification Section
Preferred – Clinical MRI experience
Required - Basic Life Support (BLS) from the American Heart
ARRT, ARMRIT OR CAMRT registered as an MR technologist, OR
ARRT registered or unlimited state license, and 6 months
supervised MRI clinical scanning experience, OR Associate degree or
bachelor degree in allied health field, and Certification in
another clinical imaging field (such as ARDMS or NMTCB), and
6 months supervised MRI clinical scanning experience
Advanced certification in MRI required by an organization
recognized by the ACR Registry required within two years of
Preferred - Advanced certification in MRI required by an
organization recognized by the ACR Registry
Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry
and retrieval of information.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the
ability to present information clearly and professionally.
- Must be proficient with Windows-style applications, various
software packages specific to role and keyboard.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of MRI procedures and technical language.
- Ability to work with and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to work efficiently and calmly under pressure.
- Ability to work self-directed and to function without direct
- Ability and willingness to have and maintain flexibility in
work duties and hours (may require flexible schedule such as
nights, evenings, weekends, holidays, extended shifts, etc.).
- General knowledge of cardiac anatomy, Doppler physics, and the
hemodynamics of blood flow in relation to the various disease
- Skills to preliminarily identify stenosis or occlusion based on
nationally published criteria.
- Skills to assist attending physicians with interventional
procedures requiring ultrasonic guidance.
- Ability to provide care and/or support services in a manner
consistent with the patient's age, social, spiritual, and cultural
needs and other special consideration.
- Verifies physician order and procedure to assure accuracy.
- Utilizes radiology information systems to facilitate care.
- Explains procedure to patient to ensure understanding.
- Independently operates equipment to complete imaging procedure
according to protocol (including placement of IV).
- Reviews patient images prior to transmission to ensure images
meet diagnostic quality standards.
- Completes timely quality control procedures in accordance with
regulatory standards and performing notification/remediation as
- Assists in the facilitation of departmental operations
(inventory, staff schedules, equipment maintenance, etc.).
- Adapts behavior to the specific patient population, including
but not limited to: respect for privacy, method of introduction to
the patient, adapting explanation of services or procedures to be
performed, requesting permissions and communication style.
- Other related duties as required.
Ochsner is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, protected veteran status, or disability
The physical essential functions of this job include
(but are not limited to) the following: Frequently exerting
10 to 20 pounds of force to move objects; occasionally exerting up
to 100 pounds of force. Physical demand requirements are in excess
of those for sedentary work. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Because the incumbent works within a healthcare setting, there
may be occupational risk for exposure to hazardous medications or
hazardous waste within the environment through receipt, transport,
storage, preparation, dispensing, administration, cleaning and/or
disposal of contaminated waste. The risk level of exposure may
increase depending on the essential job duties of the role.