Pharmacy Tech Specialist - Chemotherapy
Company: Ochsner Health
Posted on: May 12, 2022
This job is a member of the pharmacy team, and work directly
with the department pharmacists to maintain and improve pharmacy
services for the assigned areas. Responsible for preparing all
chemotherapy products for chemotherapy infusion unit and inpatient
areas at the Medical Center under the supervision of pharmacist.
EducationRequired - High School diploma or equivalentWork
ExperienceRequired - 2 years of experience as a Pharmacy
TechnicianCertificationsRequired - Pharmacy Technician
Certification in the state of practiceNational Pharmacy Technician
CertificationSterile Product Preparation CertificationHazardous
Product Preparation Certification Knowledge Skills and
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry
and retrieval of patient information.
- Must have working knowledge of pharmaceutical mathematics.
- Must have working knowledge of sterile technique and
demonstrate aseptic technique proficiency.
- Must have working knowledge of safety guidelines for handling
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the
ability to present information clearly and professionally to
varying levels of individuals throughout the patient care
- Must be proficient with Windows-style applications, various
software packages specific to role and keyboard.
- Skills to operate standard pharmacy and office equipment.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to travel throughout and between facilities.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule (e.g. 24/7, weekend,
holiday, on call availability). Job Duties
- Assists pharmacists and other technicians to maintain an
efficient medication distribution system in order to provide safe
and efficient patient care.
- Performs accurate and timely preparation of medications
including chemotherapy, and potentially hazardous substances
utilizing aseptic techniques and pharmaceutical calculations (100%
of the shift dedicated to chemotherapy preparation).
- Accurately prepares non-chemotherapy and controlled substances
for the infusion center using aseptic techniques and pharmaceutical
- Appropriately operates and maintains specialized pharmacy
equipment (IV safety software, barcode software, Cadd Pump,
automated drug dispensing technology).
- Charts all scheduled maintenance designed to ensure sterility
according to protocol.
- Performs daily, weekly, monthly, and terminal cleaning of the
- Adapts behavior to the specific patient population, including
but not limited to: respect for privacy, method of introduction to
the patient, adapting explanation of services or procedures to be
performed, requesting permissions and communication style.
- Other related duties as required. The above statements describe
the general nature and level of work only. They are not an
exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and
skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at
any time. The employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or
disability status Physical and Environmental DemandsThe physical
essential functions of this job include (but are not limited to)
the following: - -Frequently exerting 10 to 20 pounds of force to
move objects; occasionally exerting up to 100 pounds of force.
Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for sedentary
work. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Because the
incumbent works within a healthcare setting, there may be
occupational risk for exposure to hazardous medications or
hazardous waste within the environment through receipt, transport,
storage, preparation, dispensing, administration, cleaning and/or
disposal of contaminated waste. The risk level of exposure may
increase depending on the essential job duties of the role.
Keywords: Ochsner Health, Kenner , Pharmacy Tech Specialist - Chemotherapy, Healthcare , Kenner, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!